Thursday, April 9, 2009

Community Lean

I think there is a big lean towards allowing companies back in to the communities.

Think of this: Is government saving your communities? Is government saving corporations?

Or, is the private sector actually going to do an end around and be the one saving local
communities?

It's all going down now. There are big deals in place in major markets where companies WANT to step in.

It's the best way to get in front of a community and say "we care." It's visceral and measurable.

If I told you I was going to have to stop my food voucher program (like Washington DC is currently doing for students in poor neighborhoods) and I had to pick private or government, I'd go private.

The school system should be turning to consumer packaged goods giants like General Mills and Kraft or looking back at some of DC's biggest vendors like Sysco or US Foods and ask for something back. Safeway did it - Safeway stepped in as a major grocery chain should in San Francisco and just donated $50k to a school system.

You think the people in that community didn't go out and support Safeway?

Exactly what I'm saying. NASCAR has the most loyal fan base out of any sport. If my driver uses Tide on his car, I'm using it on my BBQ-stained shirt.

If I told you your kids wouldn't have JV sports in their high school, but UnderArmour stepped in and helped them with underwriting the sports programs by sponsoring their football teams, you are telling me every parent, teacher, and student wouldn't be giving UnderArmour a good look over Adidas, Nike, and Wilson gear?

Exactly what I'm saying. Communities are getting lean and it's the perfect time for somebody to step in and step up. My money is on the private sector.

No comments: