Monday, April 20, 2009

Salespeople should buy lots of stock

I think salespeople are the best stock brokers. Here's why: When one of my salespeople calls on a place and gets hung up on or belittled, I want to know who it was.

Because I do have a stock portfolio and, in times like this, I want the companies I'm invested in to be listening to all potential vendors. If there is a product or service out there that can better a company I have my kids future savings invested in, I want them to at least give them a listen.

We hear this over and over and over, that "it's not how it used to be."

When I personally make outbound calls I get a first hand experience with the company on the ground floor.

If they whip you in to some black hole of a voice mail or abruptly stop me in my first sentence or even hang up on me, I make a note of that. Not like some sinister hitlist; but I'm making sure I don't invest my money with them. Let's say I am peddling medicine and I call a doctors office and want to tell them we've just created an oral syrup that can drop the flu out of a person in 12 hours. The doctors office that listens and hears me out is the one that is not only going to get the word-of-mouth and some happy patients, but they're going to have a huge head start on the new business and the revenue. In the meantime, the company that hung up on me is going to have to scramble once they read about it in the paper or see they are losing money to their competition and find out how to get in touch with my company.

I abide by this. I have had great experiences with Apple, Proctor and Gamble, and Whole Foods and that's where I keep my money.

I have a horrible experience somewhere and the last thing I'd want to do - or have any friends and family do - is invest in that.

At the corporate level and ground level things can go back-and-forth. The corporate level may stink while the ground level operations go well. What I ask is: What's worth more? What happens when there is a mismatch and you have a good experience with one and not the other? Do you take your money out then? I do. I'm very conservative.

Looking for feedback here.

No comments: